A hot toddy is a staple for a winter cocktail...
The classic folklore suggests that a hot toddy can soothe a sore throat and clear a chesty cough from the winter cold. As the drink is composed of hot water, lemon juice, honey and whiskey, the warm beverage can in fact help break down and thin mucus to clear it from your throat and body.
By using our 100% Scottish heather honey, the healing properties of a classic hot toddy is even more enhanced! With 10x more manganese than any other honey in the world, our heather honey is nutritionally dense with its high antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties.
As the nights get darker and you fancy a warm cocktail, buy our Scottish heather honey here and try making one of our favourites for a winter cocktail!
How to make hot toddies
- 50ml Bruichladdich whisky
- 3 tsp Scottish heather honey
- 1 cinnamon stick, snapped in half
- 1 lemon, half juiced and half sliced
- 2 cloves
Different spices can be added depending on your personal preference. Spices such as fresh ginger, nutmeg and cloves work really well too.
- Begin by whisking the honey and whisky together and separate between 2 heatproof glasses
- Add half of the cinnamon stick to each glass
- Fill with 200ml boiling water
- Add a squeeze of lemon juice to each, taste and add more if necessary
- Garnish with a slice of lemon and a clove
- Serve and enjoy!
If you fancy trying more versions of a winter cocktail, try our 'Spicy Toddy' which uses our spiced apple and bramble shrub drink for more of a kick, or the mighty mojito. Try our shrubs drinks HERE and our selection of cocktails HERE.
Alternatively, if you're looking for a non-alcoholic option, a simple honey and lemon tea is great for relaxing and soothing. Try our spicy honey and lemon tea recipe HERE.