People often wonder, are beeswax candles safe?
Beeswax candles are (as you imagined) candles made from beeswax - the natural product created by bees. Beeswax candles are often the preferred candles to paraffin as they are an all natural product - perfect for vegetarian and vegans as no bees are hurt in any way in the production. But are they safe to use?
First of all, candles should never be left unattended. Even those that come in glasses like our own scented range need to be watched. Candles cause around 16,000 house fires per year - 2% of all home fires, which last year resulted in almost 150 deaths. Candles, no matter in what packaging should be treated like all open flames - with care. Make sure you blow them out before you leave the house or go to bed. Beeswax candles are no different. They are however different in other ways…
Cleaning the air
Beeswax candles (like ours!) trump all other candles for their many and varied health benefits. Firstly as they are all natural, there are no toxic byproducts created when burned. This is not true of all candles, in fact there are many candles that produce small amounts of carcinogenic chemicals which are dangerous for both the user and the environment.
Secondly, beeswax candles clean the air by producing negative ions which neutralise the pollutants in the surrounding air - dust, mould and dangerous odours. This is not great for the average person but particularly fantastic for those who suffer from asthma and strong allergies
Scented vs unscented?
A well known myth about scented candles is that they are more harmful for the environment than unscented. In terms of health hazards, there have been no known ones associated with scented or unscented candles. At the Scottish Bee Company, we check all our candles are properly made by our suppliers so hat they burn properly - both cleanly and safely. We produce both scented and unscented candles. Check out our unscented beeswax candle range here.
Back in 2003, lead wicks that were often used in candles were banned as there was a growing concern over hidden health hazards. Although nothing has ever been proven about these wicks, candles made since this date and studies have shown conclusively that candles wicks are non toxic and safe.
Have you ever noticed that your candles lets off a small amount of soot? It’s understanding to think that this might be harmful, however this is a natural byproduct that occurs when any burning occurs, and is such a small amount - in fact, less in most cases than most household toasters or cooking oils. It is a different type of soot than that created when fuel (diesel, coal, gasoline etc) are burned.